If you’re going to be traveling this summer and want to impress locals or your friends, now is the time to learn a foreign language. I recently wrote about an in-depth course you can take with Assimil, which is great, but they don’t have an app. If you’re looking for something free and not quite as intense, the Memrise app might be what you’re looking for. They make a video game out of learning. It’s available for both Android and iOS.
Memrise wants you to pretend you’re a master spy and you need to your language learning skills to go deep undercover as a spy in a distant universe. “You’ll be in charge of protecting the diversity of languages in the Multiverse from the evil Uniform is Front!” You can choose from French, Spanish (from Mexico or from Spain), German, English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Turkish, Russian, Italian, Portuguese (from Brazil or from Portugal), Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, and more. I just chose Italian (my grandparents would be proud) and they asked if I was a beginner or skilled. I chose beginner and the words were basic, but they drill them into you using a number of ways, including with video of locals speaking and numerous multiple choice questions. The goal is to learn five new words a day. I met it within 10 minutes.
Check it out. Soon, you’ll be saying grazie.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.