The holidays are around the corner! Many kids have already written their letters to Santa this year telling the big man what they’re hoping he’ll bring them. The reality, however, is that many kids in America (and all over the world) won’t see all their holiday wishes come true—or even get gifts at all. At Christmastime, low-income families, and especially the kids in them, could use some help. And with COVID-19 impacting everyone in one way or another, the need is even greater this year. Letters addressed to Santa Claus, collected through the Post Office’s “Operation Santa” program, reveal the pandemic is weighing heavily on children. Some are imploring Santa to make the coronavirus go away. Others are asking for masks for Christmas.
RELATED: 7 Face Masks for Kids
With Operation Santa, the U.S. Postal Service is stepping up to help in a big way. It’s compiled a huge database of letters to Santa from kids in low-income families to match with people (“elves”) who want to do some extra good this season. Anyone can sign up for free to “adopt” a letter and, once verified (aka has their identity confirmed by the USPS), give a gift to the letter writer with the USPS’s help. It’s an easy way to make the holidays a little brighter for low-income kids. Here’s how it works for the “elves,” in four steps (straight from the USPS site):
- Read: Look through letters and adopt ones you love.
- Shop: Find the perfect gift, and keep it anonymous—it’s from Santa, after all.
- Wrap: Pack your gifts in a box using [USPS] shipping guidelines.
- Ship: Bring the gift and postage to a participating Post Office™ by December 21.
The USPS notes on the Operation Santa website that you can scroll through letters looking for one that speaks to you. You can also answer as many letters, and give as may gifts, as you like. And if you like, you can go in on a gift with a group, as outlined in the FAQ section.
It’s a pretty great idea if you ask me. Kudos to the USPS for getting into the Christmas spirit!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.