A Global Entry membership, which includes TSA PreCheck, costs $100 (which can be reimbursed with certain credit cards), and lasts for five years, is arguably the best thing to happen to international travelers since power ports. And now, per CN Traveler, it’s easier than ever to avoid being without Global Entry privileges when the time comes to renew your membership after your five years are up. From the story:
“The easiest way to avoid a long period without Global Entry and TSA PreCheck access is by renewing within the right time frame. Global Entry memberships can be renewed up to a year before the expiration date. As long as the application is submitted before that date, travelers will have up to a year afterward to enjoy all the benefits of the program, from expedited passage through U.S. customs to a fast-track through domestic security, even if that renewal takes an extended amount of time to process.”
Previously, privileges carried over for six months. The change comes as U.S. Customs and Border Protection continues to deal with a staff and resource shortage following the partial government shutdown and relocation of staff to the U.S.-Mexico border. As CN Traveler story writes, “the staff shortage has resulted in between 30 and 35 percent of renewals (and new applications) taking more than three months to complete.”
More Global Entry
- If You Need a Global Entry Appointment, Expand Your Search and Make a Trip of It
- A Surprising Way Global Entry Members Can Get Held up at Immigration
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.