As part of Google’s annual Year in Search campaign, they’ve just revealed 2022’s trending destinations on Google Flights. To create this list, they looked at which destinations saw the greatest relative increase in searches compared to 2021, for departures from the US. Google’s fine print: “Major cities seeing the highest YoY % growth in searches on Google Flights. Limited to trips departing from the US & queries conducted January 1-September 30, 2022.” RELATED: According to Google, These Are the Best Times to Book Flights
Top 10 Trending Destinations on Google Flights (US travelers)
- Ho Chi Minh City
- New York
I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that London is number one since England was off limits for most of Covid. Then, Queen Elizabeth celebrated her Platinum Jubilee in 2022 and then a few months later she passed away. The Queen’s funeral was the most-watched broadcast of all time and the streets were lined with tens of thousands of people.
As an added bonus, Google also shared 2022’s top-searched cultural landmarks on Google Maps (both US & global). I’ve never even heard of number one and I’m happy that the Korean Friendship Bell (pictured above) in nearby San Pedro made the list. It’s a great spot to fly a kite and soak up the sun and the beautiful views. Oh, and if you’re in Pedro (pronounced Peedro), be sure to grab a sandwich from one of L.A.’s best delis.
Top 10 Cultural Landmarks on Google Maps (US)
- Skinwalker Ranch, Gusher, Utah
- Public Art “Urban Light”, Los Angeles, California
- Korean Friendship Bell, San Pedro, California
- Tree of Life, Forks, Washington
- Chinatown Gate, Boston, Massachusetts
- Duke Paoa Kahanamoku Statue, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Japantown Peace Plaza, San Francisco, California
- Doubtfire’s House, San Francisco, California
- Dignity Statue, Chamberlain, South Dakota
- Mill Mountain Star, Roanoke, Virginia
Top 10 Cultural Landmarks on Google Maps (Global)
- Buckingham Palace, London, United Kingdom
- Big Ben, London, United Kingdom
- The Great Pyramid of Giza, Al Giza Desert, Egypt
- Christ the Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Royal Palace of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
- Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall, Taipei City, Taiwan
- Songshan Cultural and Creative Park, Taipei City, Taiwan
- Louvre Pyramid, Paris, France
- Palais Idéal, Hauterives, France
- Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul, South Korea
Top cultural landmarks determined by locations with the most navigation requests and interactions on Google Maps in the US/globally between January 1 – November 19, 2022.
- How to Save Money With a Secret Third Carry-On
- How to Use Your Wireless Headphones to Watch In-Flight Movies
- 10 Airport Security Hacks Every Traveler Should Know
- How to Get the Best Coach Seat on the Plane
- The Sleep Hack Every Traveler Needs to Know
- Never Get Your Valuables Stolen on the Beach
Love to save money when you travel? Sign up to Johnny Jet’s free newsletter and check out these popular posts: 10 ways to find cheap flights and 12 ways to save money on baggage fees. Follow Johnny Jet on MSN, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube for all of my travel posts.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.