Believe it or not, the fall shoulder season is nearly here! The months between the peak summer and end-of-year/holiday travel seasons—mainly September and October—offer some of the best times to travel each year, and this year, once again, there are deals to be had. And to help you maximize your fall travel savings, flight search tool Hipmunk put together this guide to fall travel.
Hipmunk expects that shoulder season domestic flights will be 9% cheaper than summer domestic flights. For example, the guide notes, “shoulder season is the best time for a Hawaii vacay. The islands are just as beautiful in September as in July, but a purchasing a flight to Kona now through the end of shoulder season will save you 20% compared to summer travel ($116). Flights to Honolulu will cost you $113 less (18% savings); Maui $62 less (12%); and Kauai $49 less (9%).”
International flights, meanwhile, will drop 18% per Hipmunk data. Those fall travel savings include flights to Asia, like to Shanghai (37%), Hong Kong (34%), Beijing (33%), and Tokyo (26%). Savings on flights to European cities include 34% to/from Milan, 33% to/from Paris, 33% to/from Prague, and 23% to/from Vienna.
The Hipmunk guide includes longer lists of specific fall travel savings (on domestic and international flights). Check it out here.
More on fall travel, including to Europe
- In Flight on United’s New Route: Newark to Prague
- 10 Ways to Find Cheap Thanksgiving Flights
- 5 Reasons Asheville, NC, Is America’s Greatest Fall Foliage Escape
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.