Hurricane Dorian (see our travel resource page here) has left death and destruction in its wake, most of all in the Bahamas. At least 23 people are dead after the storm arrived in the Bahamian islands as a Category 5 and moved slowly over its Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama. Homes and buildings have been flattened. Now, the rescue efforts have begun.
So how can you help? What can you do to help the Bahamas recover from Hurricane Dorian? The Miami New Times‘ Jess Nelson put together a great story rounding up good outlets for your compassion. For starters, if you live in Miami, you can donate water and other goods at pre-determined sites listed here. Next, here are a few of the places she suggests donating money:
National Association of the Bahamas
The non-profit’s “Hurricane Relief Fund” is accepting donations to put towards its own work on the ground. The city of Miami endorses it as a way to help the Bahamas.
World Central Kitchen
Chef José Andrés’s non-profit is working to feed those in need, just as it did in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria. “If kitchens are destroyed,” he tweeted, “we build one and cook in big paella pans!”
The Smile Trust
The Smile Trust, “a Miami-based nonprofit that assists the homeless community and provides disaster relief” in Jess’s words, is taking donations into “Hurricane Dorian Relief Fund.”
Have a suggestion?
If you have another organization you’d suggest donating to or another way to help the Bahamas recover, please share it in the comments below.
See the damage in photos
For a sense of the destruction and the work ahead in the Bahamas, this New York Times story contrasts before and after photos of different parts of the nation. It’s pretty striking.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.