San Pedro, California has added to its historic appeal with the addition to its docks of the naval ship USS Iowa. The Iowa made its way through Los Angeles Harbor on Saturday, June 9th with a ship full of celebrants ranging from sailors who had served on board to dignitaries, military families, lots of media, and even Los Angeles mayor, Antonio Villaraigosa.
The ship was launched in 1942 from New York Naval Yard in Brooklyn, New York, and was commissioned for service the following year. It spent 20 years in service and 50 years as part of the reserved fleet and was host to three presidents. Most notably it transported Franklin Delano Roosevelt to the Tehran Conference to meet with Winston Churchill and Joseph Stalin.
The Iowa is predominantly run by a well-versed and enthusiastic group of volunteers who will be a vital part of making the Iowa a floating interactive museum of history. Along with being a museum, the ship will feature experiences to include field trips, summer camps, and leadership programs for children. The Iowa will open to the public on July 7, 2012, but will be celebrating July 4th by inviting veterans who have served on board in a commemorative ceremony to include fireworks.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.