Our first stop in Venice was at Metropole Hotel. The first thing you will love about this hotel is that’s located right on the grand lagoon so our water taxi could pull right up to its private canal entrance. For those taking a Vaporetto, the bus stop is a half a block away. Hotel Metropole is affiliated with the Preferred Hotel Group so you know it’s nice. Actually, it’s rated four stars and has 67 rooms/suites.
The hotel has a ton of history. It started out as an orphanage and Vivaldi taught music here. Then in 1910, it became a hotel and the current owners wanted to make it stand out from the competition so they made it like a museum. Each of the three floors has a different theme with museum-quality pieces throughout the hotel and in the room. We had some antique hairbrushes and hand mirrors in a glass case in our room. Our floor had the largest collection of crucifixes I think in Europe. Even if you don’t stay here, just pop your head in and see the cases in the lobby filled with crucifixes, corkscrews, evening bags, nutcrackers and more.
Better yet, eat at their Met Restaurant. Their chef has a Michelin star and they have a unique concept going on right now where he offers two different styles of each item on the menu. Traditional or contemporary. It’s a little confusing and expensive but the food and service are great. But my favorite meal was their breakfast buffet that had everything from the usual breakfast dishes to tomatoes and mozzarella. I loved sitting in their courtyard citrus garden sipping my cappuccino and filling my belly with Italian pastries.
BTW: I paid for this hotel using American Express Rewards, which is why we were able to stay at such a swanky hotel. Here’s more info on how you can use American Express Rewards and get into airline clubs using your AMEX card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.