I drink a lot of water in general, but I drink even more when I fly since I know it’s good for me. However, I had no idea how much exactly was best. Well, the Aerospace Medical Association suggests passengers drink eight ounces of water every hour they’re in the air to prevent dehydration. It’s also good to know that a flight under four hours won’t dehydrate you if you drink just a bit of water, while on longer flights you’ll feel the effects more intensely. A snippet from the write-up:
“Humidity in the cabin is usually low: in the range of 20%. There is no specific risk to your health, but low humidity can cause mild discomfort, particularly dry skin and eye irritation for sensitive people…Drink about 8 ounces of water each hour and use a hydrating nasal spray…Limit consumption of alcohol, tea, coffee and caffeinated drinks because they cause you to lose fluids.”
For more on how much water you should drink on a plane, how to stay hydrated and more, see the full write-up here.
FYI: Alcohol and caffeine don’t count. In fact, both will have the opposite effect so if you want to stay hydrated, stay away from them. I always get an aisle seat since I know I’ll be using the lavatory often and won’t want to disturb my seatmate(s).
H/T to CN Traveler.
Tried this tip? Let me know in the comments!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 816!
Want even more travel tips? Subscribe to the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! All you have to do is sign up for the weekly newsletter by filling in your email address and checking the Daily Travel Tip box in the top-right corner of the homepage.
If you already subscribe to the newsletter, fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box in the same top-right corner of the homepage and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day. And don’t worry—it’s easier than it sounds!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.