There are definitely pros and cons to all this time at home. I’m enjoying the family time a lot. It’s nice not to be rushing around all the time and to find pleasure in all of life’s simple joys. But I can’t say that I don’t miss traveling. It’s in my blood and this is a long time to go without my fix!
So, when I received a press release from the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa with tips on how to have a luau at home, I have to admit, it piqued my curiosity in a way that it never would have before. My family and I were actually supposed to be in Maui this week so the timing is perfect…it’s safe to say I’m ready for a Hawaiian holiday! But since those plans have been put on ice temporarily, why not dream about the gorgeous Hawaiian islands by having a luau at home. Below are some ideas courtesy of Hyatt and myself but first up: A video highlighting a luau I attended with my family last time we were in Hawaii. Such great memories!
At-home luau ideas
Dress the part
First things first: Dress the part. You really don’t have to ask me twice to put on one of my Hawaiian shirts. Just wearing one puts me in a good mood. I especially love the shirts I got at Reyn Spooner on my last visit to the islands.
Set the mood
Another thing that always puts me in a good mood? The sound of Hawaiian music. The peaceful rhythm and the sound of ukuleles will always transport me to Hawaii. One of my favorite songs of all time is Israel Kamakawiwoʻole’s “Somewhere Over the Rainbow”/”What a Wonderful World” medley.
Enjoy Hawaiian foods…
If you’re in the mood to cook, look for traditional luau dishes like huli huli chicken, Polynesian fried rice, Pacific ahi poke and chocolate macadamia nut pie (these are all on offer at the Hyatt Regency Maui’s Drums of the Pacific luau). Need more inspiration? Check out these Hawaiian recipes.
Kick back and enjoy a traditional Mai Tai by mixing 2 oz of light rum, 1 oz of dark rum, 3 oz of pineapple juice, 1 oz of orange curacao, 2 teaspoons of orgeat syrup, 2 oz of sweet and sour mix, and a piece of pineapple as a garnish.
Don’t forget the shave ice
Shave ice is seriously one of my favorite treats on the planet. Did you know you can buy a personal shave ice machine and make as many shave ice as you like as often as you like? Well, like me, now you do! And don’t forget your shave ice syrup!
Infuse your home with fragrance
The sweet smell of plumeria is synonymous with Hawaii. Recreate the feeling that the fragrance evokes by diffusing a plumeria essential oil or burning a plumeria scented candle.
Learn to hula
If you’re finding you’ve got way more time on your hands these days, maybe now’s the time to learn something new…like how to hula! Check out iHulaHawaii on YouTube for great tutorials for beginners.
Have your own tip? Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,691!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.