Each Friday, we feature a reader-inspired tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip—a two-parter—follows Wednesday’s tip about how to renew your passport with an app and concerns the passport renewal process as people are experiencing it now. First, from reader Rich E.:
“I have another tip or two. First, send in the passport renewal by Priority Mail (2 or 3 days). It only adds a couple of bucks and you can track it. Second, a week after you send in the passport, check your bank account to see whether passport services have cashed your check. Even though I received a response of ‘status not found’ on the gov’t website, my check was cashed, so I know that the envelope was received.”
Then, from an email sent by reader Jim:
“Just an FYI – I submitted my passport for renewal back in February. It was received by the passport application office in Philadelphia on February 26 (I shipped it Priority Mail so I could track it), the check was cashed immediately, and I still have not received my new passport. They are backlogged quite a bit.”
So, yes, it seems like passport applications and renewals are backlogged. And with all the backlog, you may have a harder time contacting a representative for a status update. All the more reason to get started renewing your passport sooner rather than later. If you don’t go through the ItsEasy app, consider using Priority Mail to track your application—and keep an eye on your bank account to see if your check has been cashed!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,739!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.