The devastating fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral yesterday has broken the heart of France and of people all over the world. I was devastated when I learned the news and I would be lying if I said I didn’t shed a tear.
The spire (all of it) and the wooden roof structure (maybe two-thirds of it) were lost, but the encouraging news is that much of the building’s facade and collection of treasures will live on. Per The New York Times, France’s culture minister told French radio today that “Notre Dame’s treasury, which included, for example, the crown of thorns and the tunic of Saint Louis, is safe in Paris City Hall” and “the large rose windows don’t appear to have suffered catastrophic damage.” The NYT story goes on to list the status of other major treasures that were at risk during the fire.
The next steps, per authorities in Paris, include securing the structure (it was undergoing renovations and is draped in now-damaged scaffolding) in the next 48 hours and, after that, an inventory of the treasures inside. Meanwhile, nearly $700 million has already been pledged to the rebuild effort, and the money is still pouring in. So how can you contribute yourself?
Fast Company put together a list of three outlets for your help, starting with Friends of Notre-Dame, “the primary organization that has raised money for the restoration that was underway.” As “the U.S. branch is a 501c3 public charity…all gifts [are] tax-deductible for U.S. contributors.” The rebuild will no doubt have all the backing it needs, but all love and support for one of the world’s great buildings—which we featured in last week’s Travel App of the Week—is going to be appreciated. Notre-Dame is more than just a cathedral. It’s one of the first places I visited on my maiden trip to Europe when I was 26. I’ve even attended mass there with my mom. It’s a special place, and we need to help our friends in France.
A BBC News report on the status of Notre-Dame is below:
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.