In the thick of the holiday shopping season, thousands of packages are being shipped across the country (and around the world) every day. In other words, it’s a great time to be a porch pirate.
Porch pirates, if you’re not familiar, are people that steal packages off of front stoops, from yards or even from mailboxes. They strike after a package has been delivered to the listed address but before the recipient has retrieved the package. And they’re more successful than you might think. The New York Times reported last week that 90,000 packages disappear each day in New York City alone. So if you don’t have a doorman or a good delivery system already in place, what should you do? How can you keep your holiday gift packages safe from porch pirates? Here are a few tips:
- Install a doorbell cam like this one
- Have packages delivered to your place of work
- Have packages delivered to the post office
- Use an Amazon Locker, UPS Access Point locker or similar
- Track your package (USPS, FedEx and UPS all offer tracking services) and sign up for delivery notifications so that you know where your package is
- Get a Parcel LockBox (see below)
How to beat porch pirates with a Parcel LockBox
The Parcel LockBox by CleverMade ($199.99) is a 31-pound cube of weather-proof steel that you can place outside your home to receive deliveries. It locks securely so that it can only be opened with a key or a four-digit code of your choosing. When you’re expecting a delivery you won’t be home to receive, you simply provide the code to the delivery company (the CleverMade website shows you how) so that the delivery person can open your Parcel LockBox, place the package inside, and close it back up so that it once again locks securely.
Assembly is required (including anchoring the Parcel LockBox to the ground) but is made simpler by the step-by-step instructions (and video) here. The Parcel LockBox fits packages up to 14″ x 14.5″ x 20″ in size.
How do you beat porch pirates?
How do you manage deliveries made when you’re not home? Have you ever had a package stolen? Share your experience in the comments below!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.