Here’s a great publicity stunt that will no doubt educate as well as promote. I bet most Americans don’t know where the tiny Faroe Islands are located. The Faroes are made up of 18 islands in the North Atlantic, near the Shetlands, Iceland and Norway. Since the Faroes have their own language (Faroese) and Google Translate doesn’t have it listed, they decided to create their very own Faroe Islands Translate.
This website allows visitors to fully immerse in the Faroes’s unique traditional culture by learning a few phrases in Faroese. With the help of locals who will translate live by video, Faroe Islands Translate will provide a free online service for those visiting the destination or anyone around the world curious to learn a little of this unusual language. Involving citizens from sheep farmers to school teachers, chefs to social workers, the initiative provides an opportunity to see the friendly Faroese before visiting, and to gain a window into their magical world.
Guðrun is one local person who has volunteered to help. A hairdresser by day, Guðrun will be on hand to help translate words and phrases sent in by people all around the world. Guðrun’s favorite Faroese phrase is “um tær ikki dámar veðrið, bíða so bara í 5 minuttir,” which means “if you don’t like the weather, just wait five minutes.”
When you visit the new website, and typing the words to be translated into the Faroe Islands Translate search box, the translation will be made by a local volunteer like Guðrun. A video with the translation will be sent back so that people will not only be able to learn the words in Faroese but also see a local speaking the language.
Last year, the Faroese petitioned Google to be featured on Google Streetview by creating their own version, using cameras mounted on the backs of sheep. Calling it Sheepview, the campaign gained worldwide interest, reaching the attention of the tech giant and eventually succeeding in its goal.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.