This time of year, travelers in the Northern Hemisphere start going on food and wine trips. If that’s your style, there’s no doubt you’re going to want to bring back some vino home with you, and that means you’re going to find yourself with a dilemma: how to pack bottles of wine so they don’t break! You can’t carry wine through security and you don’t want the bottle(s) to break in your checked luggage, ruining all of your clothes (happened to a friend of mine, who wasn’t happy). Personally, after the TSA’s carry-on liquid rules went into effect a few years back, I stopped traveling with bottles of wine simply because it was no longer worth the risk. So, what can you do? How do you pack a bottle of wine so it can fly safely?
For starters, if you’re flying with Alaska Airlines, you may be in luck. Beyond that, you can buy a bottle protector like a WineSkin. WineSkin is “the original and still the best” bottle transport bag. Each WineSkin is made of a cushion of bubble packaging and a thick-grade vinyl exterior. You simply put one around a bottle of wine (or olive oil, etc.), peel the inner seal, compress it against the protective outer vinyl covering, and pop the whole thing in your bag. Each unsealed WineSkin measures 17.75″ x 7″ x .25″ and fits a bottle up to 750ml in size (standard wine bottle size).
Right now, you can pick up a pack of eight WineSkins for $21.99 on Amazon.
More packing help
- How to Make Packing Toiletries Easy Peasy
- 10 Things You Don’t Need to Pack
- This Expandable Backpack Is Great for Travelers
- Video: How to Pack Over 100 Items Into a Carry-On with Rachel Grant
- Always, Always Pack Your Liquids in a Plastic Bag
- Travel Product of the Week: Pro Packing Cubes
- Video: How to Pack for a Trip to Iceland
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.