Earlier this week, a man running along a Colorado trail near Fort Collins was attacked by a cougar. As reported by ABC7, the man survived after he “killed the animal by choking it.” Here’s the segment:
Attacks by cougars—also known as mountain lions, pumas and panthers—are incredibly rare. (The story notes that just “sixteen people have been injured and three killed by cougars in Colorado since 1990.”) But when you’re in the mountainous western U.S., for example, it’s important to be respectful and exercise caution if you encounter wildlife.
Hopefully, you’ll never be in a position to accidentally trigger the hunting instincts of a cougar as the Colorado man did, and as the animals tend to avoid human contact, you’ll almost never have to react outside of possibly returning to a populated area and alerting a local official. That said, if you do see one in the wild, you should maintain eye contact and avoid turning your back to it, and you should employ these cougar safety tips offered by Western Wildlife Outreach. And don’t forget: As an absolute last resort, choking the animal has worked before (seems like it would take a lot of strength!).
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,380!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.