I was watching Good Morning America recently on ABC and they aired a segment about dramatic rescues of people who’d fallen through the ice. The most important part is the last half where an expert gives tips on how to survive if you fall through the ice. I think this is valuable and timely information since much of the country is experiencing below freezing temperatures.
Just the other day, I was scrolling on Facebook and saw pictures my childhood friends had posted of people skating on ponds again in Connecticut, where I grew up. That used to be a normal annual occurrence but with climate change, it’s been a rare occasion the last couple of decades.
RELATED READING: 10 Items I Have in Case of Emergency
Those photos brought back memories of when I used to play ice hockey with my friends on snow days or weekends. It also triggered memories of the time I fell through the ice while trying to retrieve a puck. It was a miserable and scary experience but fortunately the pond wasn’t that deep. But it sure would have been good to know these potentially life-saving tips:
-Put your arms out on the ice and try not sink.. The expert says you could live for 30-60 minutes longer or more.
-Don’t panic. Take slow deep breaths.
-Kick and pull instead of trying to push yourself straight up. Kick like crazy.
-When out of the ice, don’t stand up. Roll your way to safety.
-If you see someone fall through ice, don’t try to help. Instead, call 911.
RELATED READING: How to Quickly Make an Emergency Call on an iPhone
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.