After pummeling the Bahamas over the weekend, leaving devastation and at least five dead, Hurricane Dorian is now (11:45am ET on Tuesday, September 3) heading toward Florida as a Category 2 storm with sustained winds of 110mph. Here’s the NOAA’s page for Hurricane Dorian.
We’re thinking of everyone in her path and hope this resource page helps you make your travels smoother, get to safety, assist those affected (see “HOW TO HELP” below), or simply stay up to date.
TOP DORIAN STORIES (UPDATED: September 3 at 11:45am ET)
- USA TODAY: Tuesday travel trouble: 1,600+ flight cancellations as Hurricane Dorian approaches East Coast
- Florida Daily: AAA: Most Stations in Florida Have Gas as Hurricane Dorian Continues to Impact State
- ABC: Hurricane Dorian live updates: Storm to move ‘dangerously close’ to Florida coast after battering Bahamas
- CBS: Hurricane Dorian threatens millions in U.S. after pummeling Bahamas
- CNN: Hurricane Dorian threatens the US
- NYT: Hurricane Dorian Updates: Storm Pounds the Bahamas and Threatens Florida
- NYT: 5 Dead in Bahamas After Powerful Hurricane Hits
- WPBF 7: LIVE: Hurricane Dorian now a category 2, moving at 2 mph
EARLIER DORIAN STORIES (UPDATED: August 31 at 1:00pm ET)
- CNN: Hurricane live updates
- AP: Hurricane Dorian gains fury but might skirt Florida coast
- Orlando Sentinel: Hurricane Dorian forces cruise lines to cancel sailings and reschedule dozens of trips
- NBC: Puerto Rico man killed preparing for Dorian, which could hit Florida as Category 3
- NPR: Florida Governor Declares State Of Emergency As Hurricane Dorian Moves North
- NYT: Storm Roars Through Caribbean but Spares It the Worst
- USA TODAY: After lashing Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, Dorian heads toward Florida as a ‘dangerous hurricane’
- Washington Post: A near miss for Puerto Rico as Dorian strengthens into a hurricane
HOW TO HELP
How You Can Help the Bahamas Recover From Hurricane Dorian | American Red Cross (to donate visit redcross.org, call 1-800-HELP NOW (1-800-435-7669) or text the word “REDCROSS” to 90999 to make a $10 donation) | Team Rubicon
GOOD TO KNOW
- Call 311 not 911 for downed trees and flooding. 911 should only be dialed for true emergencies.
- What to Do: Weather Delays and Flight Cancellations
- Flight delay information – air traffic control system command center
- Flight trackers
- Google’s crisis map
- Every hotel website and phone #
- Every car rental website and phone #
- Every cruise line website and phone #
- CDC: Mold cleanup and remediation
- How a coin and a cup of water could keep you from getting sick
GOOD TO KNOW FOR NEXT STORM
Buy travel insurance as soon as you purchase your trip because once a storm is formed you can’t buy it. I use Allianz Travel Insurance. Full disclosure: I work as an ambassador for Allianz Global Assistance (AGA Service Company) and receive financial compensation.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.