This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Do you need a little help earning travel rewards this year? Starting March 9, 2020, you can participate in the latest World of Hyatt and American Airlines elite status challenge. You can earn matching elite status in the opposite program.
Hyatt American Airlines Elite Status Challenge
This fast track challenge is in addition to the current Hyatt-American Airlines partnership. The ongoing relationship lets you earn 1 AAdvantage mile per $1 on Hyatt stays. And World of Hyatt Discoverist, Explorist, and Globalist members can earn 1 Hyatt point per $1 on American Airlines flights.
Note that both American Airlines and the World of Hyatt have some of the best credit cards for international travel in their lineup.
Who Can Participate?
You will need one of these loyalty status tiers in one of these programs:
- American Airlines AAdvantage: Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum
- World of Hyatt: Explorist or Globalist
If you fall into one of these elite tiers you have the chance to earn matching loyalty status.
The good news is that this promotion has a flexible registration date. You have until the fall of 2020 to enroll. Once you enroll, you have three months to complete certain activities to earn elite status for the partner program.
Because of the flexible enrollment deadline, you should wait and start the challenge once you’re ready to travel.
American Airlines AAdvantage Elite
American Airlines AAdvantage Platinum, Platinum Pro, and Executive Platinum members have until October 2, 2020, to enroll. Booking World of Hyatt activities within 90 days at the eligible rate or an award night means you will earn World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist loyalty status through 2020.
Elite Hyatt benefits you can enjoy after completing the status challenge. Your new benefits include room upgrades, lounge access, and complimentary breakfast.
World of Hyatt Elite
If you’re a World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist vying for AAdvantage Elite status, you must enroll by September 30, 2020. You have three months to complete flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle.
You will earn AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, or Platinum Pro by completing the challenge. Benefits can include free checked bags, elite mileage bonuses, and complimentary upgrades.
Related: World of Hyatt Credit Card Review
How To Start This Status Challenge
If you haven’t done so already, make sure you link your Hyatt and American Airlines loyalty accounts. You will receive the details of all the required activities once you enroll. For either program, you have 90 days to travel. If you do, you can enjoy elite loyalty status for all of 2021.
These elite status challenges are an exciting way to “double-dip” and earn matching elite status. But if you like flexibility, there are other options available. If coronavirus has been dashing your travel plans this year, you shouldn’t ignore this status match.
- Credit Cards With the Best Rewards
- Best Credit Cards for Airline Status
- Best Credit Cards for Hotel Elite Status
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.