This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Many hotels are letting you cancel your non-refundable booking without penalty due to the pandemic. As we “get back to normal,” hotels (and airlines) are returning to their original policies. The IHG cancellation policy is changing October 01, 2020, for non-refundable and prepaid bookings.
Penalty-Free IHG Non-Refundable Cancellations
It’s possible to cancel your non-refundable IHG reservations penalty-free if you book your stay soon.
The IHG cancellation policy for non-refundable stays depends on when you book your room.
You have until September 30, 2020 (and up to 24 hours before arrival) to cancel your non-refundable and prepaid bookings. IHG refunds your stay on qualifying bookings you make before these dates:
- Bookings made prior to April 06, 2020
- Bookings you make between April 06, 2020, and September 30, 2020
This flexible cancellation policy applies to bookings you made before any of us knew that the novel coronavirus was going to shut down the world for most of 2020.
You must cancel your non-refundable IHG stays by September 30, 2020, to get a refund. Even if your arrival date is several months from now, canceling in September is the only way to get a refund. Waiting until October 01, 2020, or later to cancel these stays means you forfeit your cash and points.
It can take up to 90 days to receive your refund as the local hotel processes it.
Normal Cancellation Rules Return on October 01, 2020
Any non-refundable bookings you make starting October 01, 2020, are subject to the normal IHG cancellation policy rules.
Also, the advance bookings you make through September but wish to cancel in October or later are subject to the normal cancellation rules. In most cases, you will forfeit your entire cash or points payment if you choose the “Your Rate by IHG Rewards Club” or a similar “Book Early” purchase option.
For flexible rates, you will need to cancel before the cancellation deadline which is usually 24 hours before you arrive. In most cases, the cutoff is 6:00 p.m. local time the day before you check-in.
Book Now, Pay Later
If your travel budget is tight but you’re ready to put a trip on the books, you can schedule a “Book Now, Pay Later” fare by September 30, 2020, for travel through December 31, 2020. With this option, you book your room now but pay for your stay shortly before you arrive.
Summary of the Return of the IHG Cancellation Policy
You have a few weeks left to cancel your non-refundable IHG reservations and get a refund before the normal IHG cancellation policy kicks in. Whether you’re waiting to see what the local health situation is or want to find a last-minute deal, circle September 30, 2020 on your calendar. Even better, set a phone reminder to avoid losing your cash or hotel points.
- Best Hotel Credit Cards
- Best Credit Cards for Everyday Spending
- Trains or Planes Cleaner To Travel On?
- Best Credit Cards for A Road Trip
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.