This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You may be familiar with the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card, one of the best credit cards for travel rewards, but did you know there is an alternative option that comes with no annual fee? The IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card earns up to 17x points total per $1 spent at IHG properties along with some other exciting benefits. And, there’s an 80,000 points bonus offer! To earn the 80k points, new IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card cardholders must spend $2,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of account opening.
IHG Rewards Traveler Credit Card Benefits
The IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card comes with the following IHG travel benefits:
- Reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
- Earn up to 17x points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
- Earn 3x points per $1 spent on purchases on monthly bills, gas stations, and restaurants
- Plus, earn 2x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
This card has no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees.
As long as you earn or redeem your IHG points within a 12 month period, your IHG points balance will not expire.
New IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card cardholders can earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
What Doesn’t the IHG Traveler Card Offer?
When you hear the phrase, “IHG credit card” getting a reward hotel night certificate might be one of the first thoughts that enter your mind. While it’d be awesome to get a reward IHG night for each card anniversary, that isn’t the case.
Compared to the more elite IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card, you won’t get these benefits:
- Reward anniversary night certificate
- Upgraded membership status
- TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fee reimbursement
With the basic IHG Traveler credit card, you’ll only have entry-level IHG membership status. This lets you book discounted Your Rate nights when you pay with cash. You need to make at least $10,000 in total card purchases to upgrade to IHG Gold status for the rest of this year and all of next year to enjoy additional benefits.
These include things like late checkout, welcome amenity, and point redemption bonuses.
Should You Apply for the IHG Traveler Card?
How often do you stay at IHG properties? To help you better answer that question, here is a list of IHG hotels:
- Six Senses
- InterContinental Hotels and Resorts
- Hotel Indigo
- Even Hotels
- Crowne Plaza
- Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Club Vacations
- Staybridge Suites
- Atwell Suites
- Candlewood Suites
- IHG Rewards Club
If your answer is, “not often, but enough to own a credit card to earn bonus points,” then the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card might be a good option for you.
The IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card is best at earning bonus IHG points on top of your regular stays and ensuring your points balance never expires. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about any annual fees, which is a great added bonus.
Is It Better to Try for the IHG Premier Card Instead?
If you want more IHG benefits, you might enjoy the IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card that offers more travel benefits. You get:
- Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide
- Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 3 or more nights
- IHG Platinum Elite status
- TSA PreCheck, Global Entry, or NEXUS application fee credit (up to $100)
These additional benefits are a bargain for even the most casual IHG travelers. You can learn more in our IHG Rewards Premier Credit Card review.
New IHG® Rewards Premier Credit Card cardholders can earn 140,000 Bonus Points + 1 Free Night after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
The annual fee is $99.
You will earn up to 26x total points per $1 spent at IHG properties. You will also earn 5x points at gas stations, travel, and restaurants and 3x points per $1 on everything else.
Bonus: IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card
This IHG business card, the latest addition to the IHG family, can be a great option for business owners. For one, the IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card earns up to 26x points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel. Additionally, IHG Rewards Premier Business Credit Card cardholders earn:
- 5x points per $1 spent on purchases on:
- Gas stations
- Select advertising
- 3x points per $1 spent on all other purchases
Cardholders can enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 3 or more nights. Platinum Elite status and Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, or a NEXUS Statement Credit are also included with this card.
New IHG® Rewards Premier Business Credit Card cardholders can earn 140,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.
The annual fee is $99.
If you want to earn points without having to worry about foreign transaction fees or any annual fees, the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card may be best. Plus, the ability to earn 80,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months isn’t a bad deal.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.