One of the biggest pet peeves in travel is noise. I’ve come to learn to never travel without ear plugs, earbuds and either a soothing sound machine or sound app that has sounds like heavy rain or ocean waves. There have been times when I’ve wanted to get away from all noise so badly that I’ve booked a hotel away from major streets/freeways/train tracks—only to later discover it was right below a flight path.
Well, thanks to the Department of Transportation, there’s now a map that’s color-coded to show the worst areas for aircraft and automobile noise in major metro areas. Users can zoom in and out of the National Transportation Noise Map and search by location. There are also layers you can turn on and off, like “the worst areas for aircraft noise in major metro areas.” (You might need to uncheck this first so you can see the address or area you’re looking up and then check it again so you can see what the noise level is.) Red is heavy traffic and can found by major airports and roadways.
According to the DOT’s website, “The layers will be updated on an annual basis, and future versions of the National Transportation Noise Map are envisioned to include additional transportation noise sources, such as rail and maritime.”
Sources: U.S. Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics, National Transportation Noise Map; U.S. Census Bureau, 2014 American Community Survey 5-year Estimates; National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, I Love What I Hear! Common Sounds, available here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.