- Guide and ranger post walk, no doubt annoyed at me with the heat at 9am!
Written by: Michaela Guzy, Founder of OhThePeopleYouMeet.com.
I had the pleasure of spending a couple days in the Shaba Reserve at Joy’s Camp in Northern Kenya, named after the infamous Joy Adamson who reared the orphaned lion, Elsa and later the leopard Penny. Joy was also author to several books, including, Queen of Shaba.
The tents may not be as ornate as Samburu, but you certainly aren’t roughing it (the view from inside my tent). The decor is more Ethiopian, which to my untrained eye almost looked Moroccan. The food on property was light to compliment the hot desert weather and the best I’ve had yet in Kenya. A favorite find is that the tents and uniforms are all made by a tailor on camp, Cyprian (check out the “Sleeping Around” page on ohthepeopleyoumeet.com for a pic of the sweet pants they made me). Strong wi-fi service, spa treatments in room and open year round- joyscamp.com.
The landscape was much more desert like than the Rift Valley and hotter. After spending a few days bouncing around in a safari vehicle, it was a great change of pace to start each morning with a hike. Granted there was a ranger following me with a gun, which added a little excitement and it felt good to get a little exercise. And mysteriously our safari vehicle always arrived to pick us up sans driver at the end of every hike. I’ve included a few photos from my hikes below.
In addition to the wildlife, I also saw my first sand tornado which we had to wait and let pass our Cruiser.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.