Normally, I say that the person’s guess is as good as mine, as airline pricing is unpredictable. Yes, there have been a ton of studies that tell consumers how many days out they should book for the best price, but overall the subject is too nuanced for a simple answer. Since each destination and route is different, who can keep up? Not me.
However, if you’re looking for the cheapest time to buy a flight from an American city to specific destinations, Kayak’s 2018 Flight Hacker Guide includes a tool that sorts historical fares by route. You just put in your departing city and destination (from the list of options, which is somewhat limited), and the data it spits back will give a good sense of when those flights have historically been cheapest. A graph depicts the average roundtrip price per month. I put in Los Angeles to New York and was surprised by the results. The graph showed October being the cheapest month at $303 roundtrip, with November as the most expensive at $379.
Kayak, of course, is one of the largest airfare metasearch engines around—if not the largest—as it searches hundreds of other travel sites at once. To generate the results associated with the tool, Kayak uses last year’s flight booking data. According to the 2018 Flight Hacker Guide, “The data is based on flight searches and clicks on KAYAK, departing from the selected origin airport to the selected destination city for the respective travel month.”
Of course, the tool won’t help with last-minute fares, but if you plan your trips far in advance, it could definitely help. What would make it even more amazing is if you could put in a route and find out how many days in advance you should buy.
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,305!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.