It was the most civilized flight I’ve ever experienced. From the moment the flight attendants in tailored shorts and crisp white shirts offered me a cocktail—pink champagne fizzing around a floating candy gel—to the moment I left and stuffed my light blue Caudalie amenity bag into my purse, I was overcome by the sound of silence. There were no children, which helped lower the decibel level, but it was more than that. All of the passengers aboard my La Compagnie flight seemed to be experienced travelers, efficient in stowing luggage and intent on sleeping.
Those who stayed awake were rewarded with excellent food (yes, I just put the words fine dining and airplane together). Michelin-starred chef Christophe Langrée is responsible for options such as chicken mousse balls drizzled with pesto and chocolate over blinis, ravioli accompanied by bright red and yellow beets and a cornucopia of bite-size desserts, macaroons, chocolate ganache, and lemon ricotta.
La Compagnie (translation: “Airline of the French”) is a new(er) all-business-class airline flying from Newark to Charles De Gaulle for incredible prices. My last check of the website showed roundtrip tickets for $1,800.
La Compagnie’s Boeing 757-200 planes have 74 reclining seats in a 2×2 configuration. Pre-departure lounges, Art & Lounge in Newark and Icare in Paris, both offer free drinks and meals.
Like any start-up there are some wrinkles: Movies are delivered via individual Samsung Galaxy tablets and on my flight to Paris, at least six of the devices did not work. After trying to get four of them to cooperate, my flight attendant said that she might be better off throwing them out the window. The choice of movies is also disappointing to Americans seeking the latest blockbusters, but Francophiles will love the selection of French films.
It may not have all of the bells and whistles that business class on larger airlines offers (such as seats that lie totally flat) but as my seatmate commented, “It’s 80% of the goods for 50% of the price.”
For more on La Compagnie, visit lacompagnie.com.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.