Last May, we ran a post with tips on how to travel with a drone curated by a tech-savvy reader named Christian. Among Christian’s tips was a note to always be aware of your environment before you fly a drone. Today’s tip draws on that advice—and concerns a Swiss man arrested in Manhattan in October…
Paolo Prosetti was flying a drone in Times Square one evening when the drone crashed through a 21st-story window and disappeared into the building. When he returned to retrieve it the next morning, he apologized and offered to pay for the damage but was nonetheless taken into custody. The problem—in addition to his crashing an object through a glass window owned by someone else—was that drones are not legally permitted to fly in Times Square (flying a drone is okay in four NYC parks, none of which are in Manhattan).
The lesson? If you’re going to fly a drone, make sure you know the local laws and landscape before you do. And make sure to read Christian’s tips (he suggests using AirMap to survey your surroundings)!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,343!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.