Each Friday, we feature a reader-submitted tip as our Travel Tip of the Day. This week’s tip comes from reader Tom D., who tweeted his tip in response to this write-up on CashSwap, which helps you swap out your leftover currency. Tom says:
“Since virtually everything while traveling can be paid by credit card, when I check out of the last hotel of a given currency I give them all the local currency as part of paying my hotel folio and put the rest on the card. Been doing this for years and works great.”
Thanks, Tom! Of course this only works if you haven’t paid for your room in advance. And it’s true that a good travel credit card (especially one that doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees) can make a big difference, including when buying flights. You can see our credit card page here.
More leftover currency and money tips
- Always Pay in Local Currency
- Watch Out for High Fees at These ATMs in Europe
- Don’t Use ATMs on the Street (Especially in Mexico)
- This Is What an ATM Skimmer Looks Like
- Why You Shouldn’t Send Money to Strangers With a Money Transfer App
- My Dad’s Tip for Anyone Carrying Cash
- Why I Always Keep Cash With Me When I Drive
- This Free Browser Extension Will Save You Money on Hotel Bookings
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,546!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Enter your email address and check “Daily Travel Tip” to receive Johnny’s best tips in your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check “Daily Travel Tip” on the same page. You’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.