Keeneland Race Course ties together the heart, soul, and guts of Lexington. This is a not-for-profit course where the horses, bourbon, and people converge into a big day out. Horse racing is exciting to begin with, but being in Kentucky, let alone Lexington, raises the fun to a whole new level. From the general entry participants to the horse owners, the crowd is well-coiffed and styled to the nines. There’s little room for boredom between races, as the people watching is superb. People are partaking in grownup beverages (some more than others) so if that’s something you don’t want to be around – find another activity for the day.
Along with the horses, it’s part of the deal. If having a bona fide mint julep is on your bucket list, this is the place to do it. I suggest putting a bet down here and there, even the smallest bets put a more exciting slant on how you watch the races.
If you want to go a step beyond being a tourist at Keeneland, I recommend packing a picnic and parking in the free tailgating section. The atmosphere is high energy and make sure you bring your party shoes.
The friendly crowd was well dressed, well lubricated, and having a good time. The track has convenient betting stations (known as mutuel windows) set up within walking distance from the tailgating area, or you can take one of the shuttles to the racecourse.
Keep in mind the dress code for this track is coats and tie for gentlemen and skirts/dresses or slacks for the ladies – absolutely no denim is permitted and for fun, this is your chance to wear a fetching hat!
General admission is entry only and your $5 entry fee doesn’t include seating or dining (children under 12 are free). There are several other choices that I would recommend, particularly if the weather isn’t favorable for standing outside: Equestrian Room, Phoenix Room, Lexington/Kentucky Room, Reserved Seats.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.