You may feel like you’ve outdone the staycation thing as we continue down the road of tightening the belt buckle in the U.S. There are other options. After you tally up the expenses of getting into overpriced theme parks, paying for gas to get there, and feeding the troops $7 hot dogs, other vacation choices may well be equivalent in price and a heck of a lot more fun. Lexington, Kentucky is one of those options.
I’ve always thought of Lexington as an austere, old money type of place — and it is. It’s also undulating green countryside with lineations of white and black fences in a world where everything seems prettier: the bourbon, food, horses and particularly – the people.
This isn’t the South of hearty ya’lls and moonshine, which so many would profile it to be. Lexington is a dichotomy of old southern money and its distinctions, with modern sophistication as a twist.
Along with its cosmopolitan edge, one of the things that surprised me in Lexington was its aggressive and horn-happy drivers. If you drive there be aware at all times, and try not to take it personally.
A big bonus of being a traveler is knowing it’s just part of the local color when grandma cuts you off and then gives the steely-eyed burn baby burn stare down (aka “Lexington middle finger”). Mind you, when that happened we were on our way into the Keeneland Race Course and she probably saw us as a deterrent to her bets and bourbon – can’t really say I blame her.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.