For the second consecutive day on the Brooklyn waterfront, the Skift Global Forum is on. The “TED of travel,” as it’s been billed, has for the second year brought a collection of some of the top minds in travel to New York—and this year, the action is at Brooklyn Navy Yard’s Duggal Greenhouse. It’s a tremendous space, in its second life as a venue after presumably sheltering ships and naval supplies. Today, beneath a deluge of natural light and a trickle of Skift yellow, big travel ideas are being shared.
Among the highlights for me from the Skift stage:
- Geoffrey Kent, Founder, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer, Abercrombie & Kent (Day 1) — Talked about the founding of Abercrombie & Kent, collaborating with the Kenyan government to ignite safari tourism, and how he handpicks guides for new destinations from his own travels (Palau is next)
- Fred Dixon, President, Chief Executive Officer, NYC & Company (Day 1) — Talked about the process of marketing New York City and shared a killer Taylor Swift anecdote
- Rick Wise, Chief Executive Officer of Lippincott (Day 1) — Talked about applying behavioral science to brand experience, specifically in regards to “afterglow” innovation (ex: Black Tomato tours gives departing guests credits for laundry service and takeout to ease the transition back home)
- Jonathan Mildenhall, Chief Marketing Officer, Airbnb (Day 1) — Talked about Airbnb going forward and navigating demand on scale in the face of pushback
- Paul Hennessy, Chief Executive Officer, Priceline.com (Day 1) — Talked about the Priceline family’s OTAs and couldn’t talk about other things; I like Paul, who I Iast met at the Booking Summit in Amsterdam
- Ivanka Trump, Executive Vice President and simply Ivanka Trump, Trump Organization (Day 2) — Talked about her role at the hospitality giant and leveraging celebrity
- Chris Collins, Co-Founder/Executive Producer, Zero Point Zero (Day 2) — Talked about introducing the world to its beloved Anthony Bourdain and the story of No Reservations
- Zim Ugochukwu, Founder, Travel Noire (Day 2) — Talked about her incredible story, modestly about her incredible achievements and in tangible terms about the opportunity (missed so far) to engage travelers of color
- Ninan Chacko, Chief Executive Officer, Travel Leaders Group (Day 2) — Talked eloquently to Skift reporter Andrew Sheivachman about the inherent humanity in travel and made, to me, a resounding case for the travel agent in today’s travel space
- Michael Small, Chief Executive Officer, Gogo (Day 2) — Talked about in-flight Wi-Fi now and going forward as well as Gogo’s new 2ku Wi-Fi technology
- Nick Gray, Founder, Chief Executive Officer, Museum Hack and Company (Day 2) — Talked about a staggeringly elaborate and creative cruise experience he had with friends that inspired his group’s innovative take on museums; second act was a hilarious mini-musical about travel today
Update: It’s over. Skift Founder and CEO Rafat Ali just announced that the 2016 Skift Global Forum will likely be in this same space, which is good news for me. I had a great time, and I live 15 minutes away by foot. Thanks, Skift!
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.