This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
You may be wondering—what is the longest nonstop flight in the world? Singapore Airlines now holds that top spot with its almost 10,000-mile journey from Singapore Changi Airport to Newark Liberty International Airport! With service that began earlier this month, travelers can expect the journey to take 18 hours and 45 minutes.
If you’ve ever dreamed of spending almost a whole day traveling on an airplane, this is one way to do it!
Not The First Time Holding the Longest Nonstop Flight in the World Title
Singapore Airlines previously premiered this route in 2004. The journey also took off from Singapore Changi Airport and flew to Newark Liberty International Airport. It lasted over 18 hours. This flight route continued for years until 2013, when fuel costs became too expensive to continue.
The airline then changed the nonstop trip to include a stopover in Frankfurt, for refueling purposes. It’s now bringing the nonstop version of the journey back while utilizing completely different planes to make for an even better experience.
What to Expect
This time around, Singapore Airlines is using an Airbus A350-900ULR aircraft. It’s a two-engine, more fuel-efficient model, traveling 9,537 miles during the flight. The design of the A350-900ULRs has noticeable improvements.
While flying this aircraft, individuals can expect quieter cabins, higher ceilings, larger windows, and enhanced mood lighting for an overall better flight. These planes also have reduced cabin pressurization of 6,000 feet altitude instead of 8,000 feet altitude. The airline hopes to keep passengers more comfortable during the trip and to reduce jetlag with these aircraft improvements.
Interestingly, the Airbus A350-900ULRs have no economy seating on board. That might be a good thing, for such a long trip. Instead, passengers can book a premium economy or business class ticket. The premium economy seats will have more legroom than traditional economy-level seats. The business class seats will offer an even better experience and include a fold-out bed. There are 161 total seats available — 67 in business class and 94 in premium economy.
Other Close Contenders
With 18 hours and 45 minute flight time, it beats out Qatar Airways, which had previously held the longest nonstop flight in the world record with its Doha to Auckland route. This flight travels 9,031 miles and is a 17 hour and 30-minute journey.
Next in line is the nonstop Perth to London route with Qantas Airways. This long journey takes just over 17 hours and covers over 9,000 miles. If you’re not planning to take off from Singapore any time soon, there are plenty of long, nonstop flight options to choose from!
In the future, Singapore Airlines hopes to also use the A350-900ULR aircraft for nonstop flights from Singapore to Los Angeles. It’ll be interesting to see what other non-stop flights exist as airlines continue to expand their offerings. Use your Chase Sapphire Preferred card to earn points for the long journey.
Longer nonstop flight times mean more time spent in the air, but less wasted time on the ground. With our busy, go-go-go lifestyles, that is a benefit. If you’re planning a long trip in the sky, there are ways to make your flight even better. Whether you’re headed on a trip for business or a vacation for pleasure, the longest nonstop flight in the world would offer a unique experience.
Would you take flight on this long-haul journey from Singapore to Newark?
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.