Great white sharks are spotted in the northern Atlantic fairly often in the summer. In Massachusetts, and especially the Cape Cod area, there are sightings every year. To keep an eye on these predators, the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy (AWSC) teamed up with a few partners on the Sharktivity map, which tracks great white shark sightings in Massachusetts.
The Sharktivity map is a simple tool. Sightings display on top of a Google Maps map as little blue squares with fin icons. Each fin icon represents a shark sighting, and each is clickable. And when you click a square, the following details pop up:
- The number of confirmed sharks sighted
- The date and time of the sighting
- Comments (optional)
If you’ll be in Massachusetts this summer, the map is worth checking in with now and then. Or even better, you might consider downloading the app version for iOS, with which you can toggle on push notifications so you know if there’s been a new sighting. You can also, if it happens, submit your own sighting, which will be passed along to be verified.
Alongside the AWSC, the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, the Cape Cod National Seashore, and locals officials from Cape Cod and South Shore towns have contributed resources to keep the map—and the iOS app—operational and up to date. The website notes that in addition to tracking shark sightings in Massachusetts, the map is meant to raise awareness of shark research and to help people and sharks coexist peacefully.
More Travel Websites of the Week
- This Website Shows You the Cheapest Weekends to Travel Where You Want to Go
- How to Find a Hotel With a Peloton Bike
- This Is the Best Place to Find a Rental Car That I Know of
- This Map Beautifully Visualizes the Paths of the World’s Cargo Ships
- How to Get a Ride in London Like a Local
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.