Great white sharks are spotted in the northern Atlantic fairly often in the summer. In Massachusetts, and especially the Cape Cod area, there are sightings every year. To keep an eye on these predators, the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy (AWSC) teamed up with a few partners on the Sharktivity map, which tracks great white shark sightings in Massachusetts.
The Sharktivity map is a simple tool. Sightings display on top of a Google Maps map as little blue squares with fin icons. Each fin icon represents a shark sighting, and each is clickable. And when you click a square, the following details pop up:
- The number of confirmed sharks sighted
- The date and time of the sighting
- Comments (optional)
If you’ll be in Massachusetts this summer, the map is worth checking in with now and then. Or even better, you might consider downloading the app version for iOS, with which you can toggle on push notifications so you know if there’s been a new sighting. You can also, if it happens, submit your own sighting, which will be passed along to be verified.
Alongside the AWSC, the Massachusetts Division of Marine Fisheries, the Cape Cod National Seashore, and locals officials from Cape Cod and South Shore towns have contributed resources to keep the map—and the iOS app—operational and up to date. The website notes that in addition to tracking shark sightings in Massachusetts, the map is meant to raise awareness of shark research and to help people and sharks coexist peacefully.
More Travel Websites of the Week
- This Website Shows You the Cheapest Weekends to Travel Where You Want to Go
- How to Find a Hotel With a Peloton Bike
- This Is the Best Place to Find a Rental Car That I Know of
- This Map Beautifully Visualizes the Paths of the World’s Cargo Ships
- How to Get a Ride in London Like a Local
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.