Marilyn Monroe was enigmatic, the quintessential American sex symbol, and a fashion icon. She remains one of the most photographed women of all time, and in homage to her on this 50th anniversary of her death, Ferragamo is hosting two exhibits in her honor in Florence, Italy.
The Salvatore Ferragamo Museum hosts an exhibit simply titled “Marilyn” until January 28, 2013. The exhibit houses an extensive collection of photographs from Marilyn’s life and career. Interestingly, the exhibit compares the similarities of many of Marilyn’s poses to famous painting and sculptures such as Sandro Botticelli’s “The Birth of Venus” from 1484.
Also on display are 30 pairs of shoes, size 6 and a half with toe prints still inside and the lettering of Salvatore Ferragamo nearly worn off, handcrafted by the shoe monger himself for Marilyn Monroe.
A video montage plays scenes of iconic scenes from Marilyn’s film careers: that white dress being blown up over a New York City subway grate in The Seven Year Itch and Marilyn shimming in a pink gown as she sang Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend. As the scenes play, I spot the costume itself from my perch on a pink velvet sofa, Marilyn’s costumes surrounding me on a circular platform stretching around the room. I had to ignore the urge to reach out and touch the shiny pink fabrics, beaded frocks, and kid leather of the stilettos.
Unfortunately, photos aren’t allowed inside of the museum, so you will just have to visit for yourself!
And if a visit to the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum doesn’t satisfy your Marilyn fix, stay at the Gallery Hotel Art. The hotel has a special collection of original black and white portraits of Marilyn temporarily on loan from the Getty Gallery in London until September 15th. The portraits of the stunning blonde line the walls of the lobby, breakfast room, library, and restaurant and are a look into her life of screen.
Since the hotel is owned by the Ferragamo group, it regularly treats guests to a free visit to the Salvatore Ferragamo Museum as well as an exclusive discount at the Ferragamo flagship boutique above the museum so that you can own your very own pair of Ferragamo’s, just like Marilyn.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 03/31/22.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.