This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
More people are traveling again and staying at hotels. If you’re a Marriott Bonvoy member, the past 19 months haven’t been the easiest to redeem your points and free night awards. Thankfully, Marriott has extended several benefits into 2021 and is doing it again for 2022.
Marriott Bonvoy Status Extensions into 2023
Your current status for 2021 now remains active through February 2023. So, if you earned Bonvoy Elite status in 2019 or 2020, it’s possible to retain your pre-pandemic loyalty level for another year.
Bonvoy Points Expire in December 2022
Bonvoy points in inactive accounts now expire on December 31, 2022 (they were initially going to expire on March 31, 2022). These hotel points usually expire after 24 months of account inactivity.
Redeeming points or earning more points (with a Marriott Bonvoy credit card, for example) also renews your balance indefinitely.
Suite Night Awards Expire in June 2022
Suite Night Awards (SNAs) were set to expire on December 31, 2021, and they now expire on June 30, 2022, instead.
Free Night Awards Also Expire in June 2022
If you have a free night award (FNA) from a co-brand Marriott Bonvoy credit card, its new expiration date may now be June 30, 2022.
This six-month extension applies to FNAs that currently have an expiration date between January 3, 2022, and June 29, 2022.
Depending on which Bonvoy card you have, your free night certificate is valid for one night at properties requiring 35,000 or 50,000 points or less.
Starting in early 2022, you can also redeem up to 15,000 points to stay at a more luxurious property.
Award Night Pricing Changes
So far, so good, right? Well, here’s one piece of negative news about an upcoming change to the Marriott Bonvoy award chart.
The loyalty program currently uses a category-based award with off-peak, standard, and peak night pricing.
In March 2022, Bonvoy begins transitioning to a new flexible point redemption rate that more closely reflects the current cash value for the nightly rate.
You will be able to access the current award chart for the first quarter of 2022 before the pricing change goes active. According to Marriott, the redemption rates for 97% of the properties will remain close to the current peak and off-peak pricing.
However, the pricing changes will be more dynamic starting in 2023 and reflect the cash price more accurately.
Related: The Best Hotel Credit Cards
These benefit extensions give you more time to use your benefits in 2022 if you’re still not traveling as often as before. The pandemic has lasted longer than many of us initially expected, and this support can make it easier to maximize your hotel travel benefits when you go on trips.
- Is the IHG Rewards Club Premier or Marriott Bonvoy Reward Night Award Better?
- Best American Express Cards For Travel (New Bonuses, Rewards)
- When To Stay At An Airport Hotel
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy new benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5X points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3X points on dining and 2X points on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.