I woke up this morning to the news that Marriott is going to buy Starwood Hotels for $12.2 billion. In doing so, Marriott will create the world’s largest hotel company. Although everyone knew Starwood was looking to sell and there were rumors that a Chinese company or Hyatt Hotels were going to buy them, I don’t think anyone knew Marriott was going to swoop in and acquire Starwood.
From everything I’ve read (stories below), this deal makes perfect business sense as Marriott has so many limited service properties which is something Starwood lacked. What Starwood has are luxury lifestyle brands, which the millennial travelers adore. Most travelers agree that Starwood has one of the best rewards program on the market and Marriott’s is just so-so.
The good news is that the deal isn’t supposed to close until mid-2016 so there’s no need to panic. There’s plenty of time to figure out what we should do with our SPG points and we can only hope that we won’t have to do anything as there’s a slight chance Marriott would run these rewards programs separately.
–Marriott: Marriott International to Acquire Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Creating the World’s Largest Hotel Company
–CNBC: Marriott to buy Starwood for $12.2B in cash/stock
–Skift: Marriott CEO: Starwood Deal Will Accelerate Our Globalization
–Gary Leff: Time to Start Gnashing Teeth: Marriott is Buying Starwood
–One Mile at a Time: Implications Of Marriott Buying Starwood
–The Points Guy: Marriott Announces Plan to Acquire Starwood Hotels
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.