I woke up this morning to the news that Marriott is going to buy Starwood Hotels for $12.2 billion. In doing so, Marriott will create the world’s largest hotel company. Although everyone knew Starwood was looking to sell and there were rumors that a Chinese company or Hyatt Hotels were going to buy them, I don’t think anyone knew Marriott was going to swoop in and acquire Starwood.
From everything I’ve read (stories below), this deal makes perfect business sense as Marriott has so many limited service properties which is something Starwood lacked. What Starwood has are luxury lifestyle brands, which the millennial travelers adore. Most travelers agree that Starwood has one of the best rewards program on the market and Marriott’s is just so-so.
The good news is that the deal isn’t supposed to close until mid-2016 so there’s no need to panic. There’s plenty of time to figure out what we should do with our SPG points and we can only hope that we won’t have to do anything as there’s a slight chance Marriott would run these rewards programs separately.
–Marriott: Marriott International to Acquire Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Creating the World’s Largest Hotel Company
–CNBC: Marriott to buy Starwood for $12.2B in cash/stock
–Skift: Marriott CEO: Starwood Deal Will Accelerate Our Globalization
–Gary Leff: Time to Start Gnashing Teeth: Marriott is Buying Starwood
–One Mile at a Time: Implications Of Marriott Buying Starwood
–The Points Guy: Marriott Announces Plan to Acquire Starwood Hotels
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.