I was recently asked to cover the new Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ride at Universal Studios Hollywood. With my nine-year-old daughter in tow, I set off for a day of film-inspired magic and that’s what I got.
The new ride fits right into the movie-enchantment precedent set by Universal Studios—putting the rider smack in the middle of 3-D action, carrying the humor and whimsy of the movie with you through the whole ride. A bonus to the Minion experience is the new Super Silly Fun Land—a seaside Minion carnival. Cooling down under waterfalls, slides and water features was treat after traipsing through the park on a hot day.
We got through the majority of the park in a day—including the old Jaws showcase, which I remember from being my daughter’s age. It may be old, but it made my kid scream in terror—so still successful!
My favorite and my daughter’s favorite Universal Studios ride of all time is the Simpsons ride. Go on that one more than once and really listen to the soundtrack on the second go. Fun stuff.
We finally tried out the Transformers ride. I’m not a fan of scary, so I’d hidden behind the “You’re too young for that ride” excuse in past visits, but I couldn’t get away with it this time. Having a monstrous evil Transformer bend down and look you in the eye and spew threats was horrifying and breathtaking. I’m just hoping there weren’t any German tourists within earshot, as I have a tendency to scream obscenities in German when in fear. It was worth the terror. Just. So. Coooooool.
Some things to note:
- Bring a towel and bathing suit for the kids, it’s a treat for them to be able to cool down by playing in Super Sill Fun Land. Dressing rooms are nearby.
- If you eat healthy, pack your own food. It is an amusement park and healthy pickins are slim. You may be better off ordering food at one of the restaurants on the Universal Walk before you enter the park.
- Get a Front of Line Pass. It made our day twice as enjoyable as our previous visit without one. Worth the money.
- If the Transformers are set up for photo ops outside of the ride, do it. Your imagination will suspend any thought that there is a person in the robotic costuming as they lunge at you.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.