I’m embarrassed to admit that I didn’t know who Megan Rapinoe was or how important she was to the United States women’s national soccer team when I first met her last year. What I did know right away is that she’s a very kind human being.
We were both in the lobby of a deserted and unpretentious L.A. hotel. Megan was hanging out with another teammate who wasn’t that outwardly friendly, and my wife and I were chasing our then-1.5-year-old son around while waiting for the valet to bring our car around.
Baby Jack was wearing a shirt that said “Free Hugs,” and when he ran by her, she said something like, “That better not be false advertising,” and then, “Bring it on,” as she knelt down to cash in. He didn’t disappoint (Jack gives the best hugs!) and fortunately, I was smart enough to ask for a picture of them. We talked travel for a while, and when I got home I looked up the team and started following Megan on Twitter (she kindly followed me back). That little interaction instantly made me a fan for life…not only of Megan Rapinoe but of women’s soccer.
Jack is showing promise as a solid soccer player and I’m sure he will cherish this photo in the years to come. It’s not often that you get to meet a living legend and a role model who’s changing the world.
Related: 10 Travel Tips From Celebrities
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.