B Ocean Fort Lauderdale
Views, views and more views. The B Ocean Fort Lauderdale is aimed at large parties and families at a reasonable cost, but it doesn’t feel like it. The hip interior, well-appointed clean rooms and beachside location are ideal for couples, girls/guys getaways and families. Not only does it saddle up to miles of creamy sand beach, it’s also flanked on the north by Hugh Taylor Birch State Park and to the south, Bonnet Gardens. At its feet you’ll find long-standing beach pubs like the Sandbar that has live midday music and a beverage takeaway window. Across the way are tattoo parlors, an old school, now-hipster chic barber shop and several bric-a-brac tourist shops. The hotel has a convenient bike rental station near its entrance where you can rent a bike and return it at other stands throughout Fort Lauderdale.
A crosswalk away from the front door of the B Ocean Fort Lauderdale is Hugh Taylor Birch State Park where you can kayak, hike, bike and animal-watch in a tropical forest. It’s a lush refuge from the more social and touristy side of Fort Lauderdale. On the other side of the B Ocean at Bonnet Gardens, you’ll find art, gardens to stroll through, a museum that includes a mansion on the National Trust for Historic Preservation list and grounds that date back to 2000 B.C.
Helpful tip: The beach across from the B Ocean Fort Lauderdale is a sea turtle nesting area. During nesting season, April 1st – October 31st, you can find large sand mounds on the beach that are turtle nests. They are usually surrounded by caution tape and signs that warn of large fines for tampering, but you can still get close enough to get a look and snap some photos.
B Ocean dining
The hotel property is home to SAIA—a modern, Southeast Asian-influenced restaurant with sushi aimed at the American palate. This is not a die-hard sushi place, but it does have a menu that is diverse, delicious and includes unique signature drinks and saki.
On the water
The option to be on the water is everywhere in Fort Lauderdale. A favorite of mine was snorkeling on a catamaran through Spirit Yacht Charters that takes visitors out to a reef off the city’s coast. It’s an easy half-day excursion, snorkeling equipment is included and the onboard staff is friendly and accommodating.
After all these years of pigeon-holing the Miami area as overly decadent and glossy, all it took was a closer look to see there’s much more. I found culture, food, low-key fun and plenty of outdoor activities and sophisticated accommodation that doesn’t break the bank.
For more on the Fort Lauderdale area—and its better-known nephew Miami, just 25 miles south—click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.