Updated: Feb 15, 2022
Last year, I was furiously compiling the travel news for my weekly newsletter when I came across a very interesting retweet from someone I follow. They were retweeting Kristen Cheeks, who is a writer for TV shows including Saturday Night Live. She tweeted: I’m not sure who needs to see this but Rick Steves is doing Zooms every Monday night where he drinks and watches his own travel videos with you. If I can help just one person by sharing this, I’ve done my job. https://t.co/DukBcfPzfF
As many people know, Rick Steves, is the author of a popular guidebook series and TV host for PBS. He’s also a big-time activist and encourages people to explore less-touristy areas of destinations and to become immersed in the local way of life.
I’ve been fortunate to have dinner with Rick many times and he’s invited me to be a guest on his radio show on NPR twice. He’s a really nice guy and is quite an interesting character so I’m happy to learn about his live Monday Night Travel parties for some virtual travel. He hosts two parties each Monday. The first one is at 6pm PT/9pm ET followed by one 90 minutes later at 7:30pm PT/10:30pm ET. However, his March shows are scheduled 30 minutes earlier at 5:30pmPT/8:30pmET and 7pmPT/10pmET.
It’s free to attend but you do need to register through Zoom and that still doesn’t guarantee admission because Zoom can only hold so many (I think 5,000) and these events appear to fill up quickly. So according to Rick’s website, your best bet is to join them on time or even be a bit early — and if you don’t make it into the first show, try again at the later one.
Rick Zooms from his living room and shares his personal, inspirational, and sometimes hilarious behind-the-scenes commentary, followed by a Q&A.
The next five Monday Night Travel dates and topics are:
Feb 21: Paris with Steve Smith
Feb 28: Sicily with Alfio Di Mauro
March 7: Germany Favorites
I registered for last year’s March 22nd show with my friend Samantha Brown (you can read/listen/watch my interview with her here).
You can watch previous recordings of Rick’s Monday Night Travel here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.