During my trip to the Big Island, we drove to Mountain Thunder Coffee which is the island’s largest organic farm and the highest grown coffee in the world at 3,200 feet elevation. The owner bought 20 acres 20 years ago with no intention of getting into the business but now he is highly successful and is also growing tea and vanilla. His coffee won a prestigious award – “best coffee in America” – last year that made the whole island proud. He says the Kona weather is what makes the coffee so good. They still handpick the beans where he pays the pickers 50 cents a pound. The plantation is 10-15 minutes away from the Courtyard hotel and he charges $65 for the VIP tour and nothing for just a standard tour. We learned he grows 500,000 pounds of green beans a year but his costs are now huge. What used to cost $10 a pound is now $16. He says coffee lasts about a month.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.