My sister Carol experienced some of this summer’s travel craziness firsthand yesterday when her American Airlines flight, operated by Republic Airways, from Nantucket (ACK) to Charlotte (CLT) was delayed by an hour because of thunderstorms. In fact, lightning struck the airport so they couldn’t refuel the plane at ACK.
Carol called me when the gate agents originally said that the plane was going to make a quick stop at LaGuardia to get gas. That’s when I said, “Whoa whoa whoa … first of all, there’s no such thing as a quick stop in LGA (especially in the evening) and secondly, there’s a ground stop there, according to the FAA.” The ground stop, which was lifted shortly after, was due to thunderstorms.
My sister told the flight attendants about the ground stop and they said operations had just changed the stop to Boston, which made much more sense. However, I said, “I doubt you’re going to make your connection to Palm Beach since you only have a two-hour layover and the plane was already delayed by an hour.”
She debated about staying in Nantucket or chancing it. She went with the latter and got really lucky as her CLT to PBI flight was delayed by 90 minutes and after running through the airport, she just made the flight. She said it was so stressful but glad it all worked out.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.