Most of the major navigation apps are free, so when you see one that costs money you expect it to be good.
Well, inRoute Route Planner, which is $3.99/month or $29.99/year, is in the words of one reviewer “the best routing app out there!” Carl Reese, a record-setting long-distance motorcyclist, says that he has “used InRoute for planning six world record attempts” and that “no weather app gives you more information, period.” In short, it has a ton of features that you won’t find in Google Maps.
It’s probably not worth the money if you just need directions from point A to point B, but if you’re going on a long road trip, it can be a huge help. You start by inputting a destination, just like Google Maps. From there, you can customize your route with up to 150 stops. You can optimize for route elevation, road curviness, weather, and even sunrises and sunsets, and you can add time for layovers and times that you need to be back on the road by. You can even build in stops (like for gas or a hotel) after a set number of hours or miles.
More on inRoute Route Planner
- Voice guided navigation of up to 150 locations with automatic severe weather alerts (alerts are currently available in the US, Canada, and EU)
- Optimize waypoint order for fastest time, or manually reorder
- Import from XLSX, GPX and KML files
- Create custom routes based on weather, elevation and curviness, or build your own route from available alternates on each leg of a route
- Interactive charts showing route elevation, curviness, weather (temperature, humidity, precipitation, wind speed/direction, severe weather alerts), and sunrise/sunset times
- Search along a route—the whole route, every x miles/hours, or the next x miles/hours from a place—find gas, hotels, campgrounds or places to eat close to a route
- Set Departure and Layover Times—weather forecasts, road conditions (e.g. congestion), and travel times accurately reflect conditions throughout the trip
- Save your favorite routes and places, sync between devices, organize into folders, print via Airprint, and share with family and friends
- Easily add places to the map using a Dropped pin, Search, or Contacts
- Export routes to Apple Maps, Google Maps, Navigon, and Waze. Some apps use inRoute’s “Agenda Nav” feature. See the in-app FAQ for more info
- Export to GPS devices and apps compatible with GPX files
- Routes are stored on your device so you can access them even if you lose connection
More navigation apps
- Mapless: A Minimalist Navigation App That Wants You to Enjoy the Journey
- A Great, Free, Offline-Ready Navigation App
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.