I just read this CNN Breaking News story about sewing needles found in four turkey sandwiches on separate Delta Airlines flights from Amsterdam to the United States. I find this scary as hell, don’t you? Just a couple of months ago I got an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of an airline catering company at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris, France. I saw first-hand all the preparation and safety measures that go into airline food. Some of the things I found interesting were:
- They use handheld computers to record and trace every food item so if there’s ever a food alert, they can identify the source within five minutes. There are usually two alerts a month, with only one testing positive for food poisoning a year — this usually happens in the summer with red cheese. The catering company usually gets about three allegations of food poisoning per year.
- By law the pilot and co-pilot have to have different ingredients in their food and that are not made in the same kitchen as the passengers and flight attendants.
- The president of France and other heads of state have their meals made in the first-class kitchen. But the president of the United States has his own people make their food.
After this Delta Airlines incident, I think the flying public will now be apprehensive about eating airline food. I bet we will see more passengers bringing their own food onboard– I know I will be.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.