This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
American Airlines has launched a no annual fee rewards credit card. This product rolled out on July 22, 2018, for new cardholders. AAdvantage Bronze Card owners automatically had their accounts upgraded and began earning significantly more rewards. Here’s what you can expect from the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card.
This no annual fee credit card arrives shortly after the recent upgrades to the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® that let you earn bonus points on more purchases. Now you also have a few more opportunities to save money when you fly.
The information for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® has been collected independently by Johnny Jet. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Earn 10,000 Points and a $50 Statement Credit
New American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card cardmembers earn 10,000 points and a $50 statement credit after spending $500 in the first three months. This bonus offer is on par with the other airline credit cards without an annual fee.
American Airlines award flights start at 7,500 miles. A free one-way domestic flight within the continental U.S. and Canada is possible with the bonus!
Earn Up To 2x Miles on Every Purchase
An increasingly common perk for airlines rewards credit cards is to also offer bonus points on non-airline spending. The MileUp credit card is no exception.
- Cardholders earn:
- 2 AAdvantage® miles for each $1 spent at grocery stores, including grocery delivery services
- 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- 1 AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases
- 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases
Enjoy 25% Savings on In-Flight Purchases
Like the other American Airlines credit cards with an annual fee, you’ll now receive a 25% statement credit for your in-flight purchases.
American Airlines MileUp Credit Card Vs. Delta and United No Annual Fee Credit Cards
The major domestic carriers have all placed a larger emphasis on offer rewards cards without an annual fee. In the last year, travelers have seen the United TravelBank and Delta SkyMiles® Blue American Express Card launch.
The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card is competitive with either card. You can earn up to two points on every purchase and receive a statement credit on in-flight purchases.
If you only fly once or twice a year, these cards can help you earn enough points to book an award flight. Plus, your American Airlines points balance never expires as long as you own the MileUp Credit Card.
Apply for the MileUp Credit Card or the AAdvantage Platinum Select?
The real $99 question is if you should apply for the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card or pay the $99 annual fee (waived the first year) to get the AAdvantage Platinum Select instead? Airlines have ramped up their efforts of offering rewards cards without an annual fee to win over debit card and cash rewards spenders.
The MileUp credit card can be a good option if you want to own American Airlines rewards miles, but paying an annual fee can be more advantageous. You will actually save money by going with the Platinum Select because you can enjoy these complimentary benefits:
- First checked bag is free for you and up to four travel companions
- $125 American Airlines credit after spending $20,000 a card year
- Citi waives the annual fee for the first year
You will also earn double points on more purchases with the Platinum Select:
- American Airlines purchases
- Gas stations
All remaining purchases earn 1 point per $1.
When to Apply for the MileUp Credit Card
The American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card can be the better option in these instances:
- Spend more on groceries than gas and restaurants
- Won’t spend at least $20,000 annually
- Don’t check a bag when flying American
- Ensure your points never expire
Because the MileUp credit card doesn’t charge an annual fee, this card can either be a good primary or secondary card. Just note that it does require a good to excellent credit score.
When to Apply for the Platinum Select
Rightfully so, the Platinum Select offers more benefits because it commands a reasonable $99 fee (waived the first year). It is the better option in these instances:
- Spend at least $20,000 annually for the $125 flight credit
- Check a bag at least four times ($25 per bag)
- Earn more bonus points from gas stations and restaurants than grocery stores
You might be surprised how quickly the savings add up if you check a bag regularly or you can earn the $125 flight credit. Because of the free checked bag for five people, you can easily pay the annual fee with a single one-way trip. Generally, if you want a good credit card for international travel you will have to pay an annual fee.
Best American Airlines Award Flight Redemption Options
Now that you’ll have a few extra AAdvantage miles in your pocket, you can try to use your points for one of the following award routes. American Airlines charges a fixed amount so you can easily calculate how many points you need to fly when you fly in the off-season or peak season.
Fly Domestically for 7,500 Miles
You can begin redeeming your miles at 7,500 points for a short-haul flight within the United States that’s 500 miles or less. Longer flights within the continental U.S. and Canada cost 12,500 miles each way.
Fly to Europe for 22,500 Miles Each Way
Another redemption option to consider is flying to Europe. You can also book partner flights with a OneWorld alliance member and pay 22,500 (off-peak) or 30,000 miles (peak) for a one-way economy flight to Europe. To avoid fuel surcharges, don’t fly British Airways for your long-haul flights.
You can also upgrade your flight experience and fly business class to Europe for 57,500 miles each way too.
Take a Transcontinental Flight in Business Class
If you need to fly across the United States and want to do it in business class, you should try flying from New York to either San Francisco or Los Angeles. American uses a three-cabin aircraft for this route. You can enjoy a lie-flat seat that you can usually only access on international flights.
Summary of the MileUp Credit Card
Occasional American Airlines flyers will benefit greatly from the American Airlines AAdvantage MileUp℠ Card. If you plan on checking bags or using the card for your daily spending, you may still be better off going with the recently upgraded Platinum Select Card instead.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
- 1 Earn 10,000 Points and a $50 Statement Credit
- 2 Earn Up To 2x Miles on Every Purchase
- 3 Enjoy 25% Savings on In-Flight Purchases
- 4 American Airlines MileUp Credit Card Vs. Delta and United No Annual Fee Credit Cards
- 5 Apply for the MileUp Credit Card or the AAdvantage Platinum Select?
- 6 Best American Airlines Award Flight Redemption Options
- 7 Summary of the MileUp Credit Card