It’s just great to be Johnny Jet’s go-to guy for Trusted Traveler Program information from the USA’s Homeland Security. For an overview of these programs you can check out my October post, Which Trusted Traveler Program Is Right For You?
A few weeks later, you may have read my piece You Can Now Schedule a NEXUS Appointment that brought us the news that on November 29, 2021, NEXUS interviews opened up again on the US side of the Canadian border. Well, I’m sorry to tell you there’s an update to that story.
Due to the Omicron variant and the suspension of the short trip PCR test exemption for border crossings between the USA and Canada, both NEXUS and FAST interviews have again been suspended starting December 20, 2021 … only three weeks after the program was reopened.
So if you’re applying for a NEXUS or FAST card you’re out of luck for a while. There’s not much to do other than wait it out.
But there is some good news. Current NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership prior to expiration will be able to maintain their privileges until they can complete the interview process. However, if not renewed before the expiration date, program privileges will not be continued and current members will need to re-apply and schedule a program renewal interview when they again become available.
I also have some personal good news to report regarding this change of status. I was able to schedule my NEXUS interview during the three weeks they were available. You can read about that experience here.
Hopefully this closure won’t be for long. But as often heard in the Canadian province of Quebec, c’est la vie.
About the author
Micah Engber is based out of Portland, Maine in the USA, and is a part of the Airplane Geeks Podcast where he is often referred to as their Main(e) Man. Micah is also a contributor to JetWhine.com and has been heard regularly on the Airline Pilot Guy and Plane Talking UK podcasts. You can reach him via Twitter at @MaineFly.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get complimentary access to DashPass which unlocks $0 delivery fees and lower service fees for a minimum of one year when you activate by December 31, 2024.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.