Ocean View vs Oceanfront
It drives me nuts when I get suckered or when I see others being taken advantage of. One way hotels, resorts, rentals and BnBs get more customers is by highlighting the words ‘ocean view’ in their marketing materials. But just because a place boasts that it has an ocean view, it doesn’t mean that the hotel is right on the beach; the property could be three blocks away.
Oceanfront, by definition, means: The land along the shore of an ocean. So if you’re booking an oceanfront hotel, it should be right on the beach, not across the street or around the corner. To be absolutely sure, look up the hotel’s address and map it out on Google Maps. This way, you can see the exact location of the property before you book.
For example, there’s nothing wrong with hotels that are not oceanfront but offer ocean views. You just want to make sure you’re clear on the difference before you book. I’ve stayed at many memorable hotels with ocean views, including the old Delray Beach Marriott, now the Opal Grand (see photo above). Even though it’s across the street, over the A1A, I still love it.
However, if I wanted to be right on the beach near Delray Beach so I could hear the waves when I sleep, then I would stay down the road at the Delray Sands (photo above). There are plenty of options in most popular beach destinations so be sure to read the wording carefully before making your booking.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Our best offer ever! Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,250 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 100,000 points are worth $1,250 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.