Greetings! If you’re following me and my wife on social media (our handles are listed at the bottom), then you know that we and our son Jack, spent a long weekend in San Diego (two-hour drive from L.A.). I was speaking at the San Diego Travel Show on Saturday so we made a long weekend out of it. The first two nights we spent at the Omni San Diego Hotel, which was ideally located right across the street (and train tracks) from the San Diego Convention Center and next to the ballpark.
Good to know: The Omni charges $9.95 or $14.95 (for faster speed) a day for Wi-Fi unless you’re a member of their rewards program. If you sign up, then the basic Wi-Fi is free and the faster service is a much more reasonable $4.95 per day.
When we first checked in, the clerk wasn’t very friendly and was taken aback that Natalie didn’t want a room on the 13th floor. I was taken aback that a hotel still names a floor 13 and even more so that the guy gave us a bit of attitude. I’m pretty sure that almost all hotels and cruise ships that I’ve been in skip over that inauspicious number.
He then assigned us a room on the 6th floor, which I liked because God forbid there’s ever a fire, the fire truck ladders will be able reach us (most only reach the seventh floor). The bad news is that we could hear the Hard Rock Hotel’s nightclub music thumping until 2:30am.
The next day, we asked to switch rooms and the clerk working the front desk was super cool. Dustin moved us to room 2033 on the 20th floor (out of 21) to a corner room with the best view of Petco Field where the San Diego Padres play. I just wished the Padres were playing since I could watch the game from my room. The only thing I didn’t like was that the water pressure in this room wasn’t nearly as good as the sixth floor but the view and sounds were way better.
Downtown San Diego
I really like downtown San Diego, especially for conferences since most of the hotels are within walking distance to the convention center and there are great restaurants all around. We had a fantastic Italian meal at Salvucci’s, which was just two blocks from the Omni on J Street. The one thing I don’t like about San Diego are all the homeless people but I can’t blame them for living there since it would probably be my top pick within the continental U.S., too. If you’re planning on visiting San Diego with your kids, check out this post on Ytravel about things to do in San Diego with kids.
Follow Us On Social Media
If you are on social media you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and/or Periscope. My wife’s handles are: Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter and Facebook.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.