PayTollo is a brilliant new app that allows users who don’t have an E-ZPass to bypass cash toll lanes and cruise through express toll lanes. The app is available for both Android and iOS users, though right now it’s only available in Orange County (California) and Florida. The reviews in the app stores aren’t great, but travel blogger Steph from One Mile at a Time wrote that she used it and it worked well.
You can register within a minute by entering your information, vehicle information and preferred payment option. Once you’ve registered, you have access to supported express toll lanes—and you’re ready to go. Upon approaching a toll booth, based on geolocation, a notification is sent alerting you of payment.
Promo code: Use my promo code JDISCAL867 for $5 toll credit.
Good to know:
- PayTollo will not work with an unshielded transponder in your vehicle.
- At a toll plaza, do not use the cash lane. Use the electronic lanes.
- “Pending” transactions are notifications that you have crossed a toll plaza.
- If your phone is off/dead/missing and your active vehicle crosses a toll, your PayTollo account will pay that toll. You will see those toll crossings appear in the app within 5-7 business days.
I hope the app takes off and expands to other states as it would save so much time, aggravation and money.
Note: If you’re renting a car, you should be sure to remove the license plate data from the app (you need to take a picture of the plate and store in the app) of the rental immediately after returning it so you don’t get charged when future drivers go through tolls. And be sure that the rental car agency that offers toll tags is in the off position. If you’re charged twice, as Steph was with Enterprise, do what she did: take a screenshot of the app showing that it paid the toll and email the rental car company. In Steph’s case, they quickly credited the charge on her credit card.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.