If you’ve ever felt you’re too tied to your phone/devices, listen up: Several companies are now selling “phoneless vacations” and the response has been very positive.
As the New York Post writes, “The newly launched travel company Off The Grid offers group trips with itineraries, lodging and a daily breakfast included — and no phones allowed. Other resorts and getaways are advertising themselves as phone-free as well.” Among the other phoneless options listed:
- “Punta Placer, a beach resort in Mexico, is completely ‘off the grid’ without Wi-Fi or phones for $90 a night.”
- “OARS adventure company uses its location in Idaho’s ‘River of No Return,’ which has no cell service, as a selling point.”
- “Many yoga and meditation retreats, including Dhamma Dhara Vipassana Meditation Center in Massachusetts and the worldwide locations of Vipassana meditation retreats, also have no-phone rules.”
- “The Four Seasons Costa Rica lets visitors turn their phones in to the front desk, according to Travel + Leisure, and if they make it 24 hours without the device, they win an Apple iPhone case.”
In the Four Season Costa Rica example, guests who turn in their phones are provided with “dumb phones” that can be used to make calls in emergencies as well as notebooks and disposable cameras. Pretty neat if you ask me.
Would you take a phoneless vacation? Know of other companies offering them? Let me know in the comments below!
Have your own tip? Email it to email@example.com!
Want to see more tips? Click here for all 1,161!
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your JohnnyJet.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.