This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Travel credit cards are offering several limited-time perks that make local spending more rewarding while we travel less frequently. One of the newest features is The Platinum Card® from American Express PayPal statement credit. This limited-time benefit is worth up to $180.
Monthly $30 PayPal Credit
The Platinum Card® from American Express cardholders can receive up to $180 back ($30/month via statement credits) on purchases made at eligible merchants with PayPal through June 30, 2021. Terms apply.
New and existing Platinum cardholders can receive up to $30 in PayPal statement credits each month.
Eligibility for this offer is limited. Enrollment is required in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming.
Learn more: Johnny Jet Recommended Credit Cards
Do Cardholders Have to Activate the Offer?
Yes. As mentioned above, eligibility for this offer is limited. Current cardholders can enroll in the Amex Offers section of your account before redeeming (enrollment is required).
American Express credits the first $30 in qualifying PayPal purchases during the offer period.
How to Earn the Platinum Card PayPal Credit
Cardholders simply have to pay with PayPal and use their linked Amex Platinum to complete the purchase. Amex will reimburse the first $30 in monthly PayPal purchases.
At the checkout screen for online stores, choose the “Pay with PayPal” button. Next, enter your PayPal account details. Then, select to pay with your Amex Platinum.
Despite the extra step, the $30 monthly credit can be worth the effort.
Do PayPal Purchases Earn Membership Rewards?
Qualifying purchases will earn Membership Rewards and PayPal credit. That’s up to 5x Membership Rewards plus $30 in statement credits. All qualifying PayPal purchases must be made in US dollars to receive the statement credit.
Many online merchants accept PayPal payments. One notable exception is Amazon.
Creating a PayPal account is free if you don’t have one already. After opening an account, you can link a bank account and credit card.
$20 Streaming Plan and Phone Credit Ends
The arrival of the $30 monthly Platinum Card PayPal credit can be an easy and convenient way to maximize online purchases. However, note that Amex is no longer offering the $20 monthly statement credit for select streaming plans and cell phone bills.
Other Amex Platinum Benefits
There are several other ongoing card benefits that are worth exploring as well as you map out your 2021 travel and spending plans.
- Earn 5x Membership Rewards on flights booked directly with airlines or on AmexTravel.com (up to $500,000 on these purchases annually)
- Earn 5x Membership Rewards on prepaid hotels on AmexTravel.com
- Non-bonus purchases earn 1x Membership Rewards
Cardholders can also get up to $200 in annual Uber rides and Uber Eats statement credits. There is also up to $200 annual air travel credits that cardholders can take advantage of. Airport lounge access and up to $100 in Saks Fifth Avenue statement credits ($50 semi-annually) are two other perks that cardholders may enjoy.
It’s also possible to save money by activating Amex Offers that let you earn bonus one-time statement credits. Learn more about all the other numerous perks and benefits of the card in our in-depth Platinum Card From American Express review.
It offers some amazing benefits that are worth the $550 annual price tag (See Rates & Fees).
Up to 125k Welcome Bonus
In addition to up to $180 in PayPal credits, new cardmembers can earn one of the Platinum Card’s highest ever welcome bonus offers. The current offer directly through American Express is 75,000 Membership Rewards by spending $5,000 in the first 6 months.
But trying for the Amex Platinum using the CardMatch™ tool lets select applicants qualify for a targeted welcome bonus. This exclusive offer is worth up to 125,000 Membership Rewards. But you must spend $5,000 in the first 3 months to earn this targeted offer.
Most online stores and travel brands accept PayPal payments. The current Platinum Card PayPal perk is easy to maximize. You can get an extra $30 per month ($180 total) put back into your pocket.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please click here.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases.
- 2X points on dining at restaurants including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered. Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.
Editorial Note: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities.